Welcome to the City of Casper, Wyoming


Fort Grounds

The fort buildings are part of a joint reconstruction project between the Works Progress Administration and City of Casper in 1936. The buildings were rebuilt close to the original locations using a floor plan drawn by Lieutenant Caspar Collins in the 1860s. The reconstructed post actually represents Platte Bridge Station, not the expanded Fort Caspar. In the 1980s, a replica of the Mormon ferry and a reconstructed section of the Guinard bridge were added to the grounds.

Mormon Ferry

The Mormon Pioneer Party established the first commercial ferry operation at the Upper Crossing of the North Platte River in 1847.

Guinard Bridge

Trader Louis Guinard established a toll bridge and trading post in 1859-1860.

Telegraph Office

In 1862, the U.S. government sent troops west to guard the transcontinental telegraph line linking the East and West Coasts.

Day Room

Sergeants were responsible for the day-to-day operations of the fort.

Infantry Barracks

Infantry soldiers were not stationed at the post until 1865. The first to arrive were “Galvanized Yankees” of the 3rd U.S. Volunteer Infantry.

Mess Hall

The mess hall served as both kitchen and dining room for all soldiers at this small post.

Cavalry Barracks

Cavalry troops established the fort in 1862. Soldiers of Company G of the 11th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry manned Platte Bridge Station single-handedly from the fall of 1863 through the spring of 1865.


The army provided basic food rations, uniforms, and equipment, which were distributed to soldiers from the commissary.


Although laundresses were a part of the frontier army structure and assigned to specific companies of soldiers, they may not have been stationed at the post in its early years because of its small size.

Lieutenants’ Quarters

Lieutenant Henry C. Bretney of Company G, 11th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, commanded the post from the fall of 1863 into the summer of 1865.

Captain’s Quarters

The 6th U.S. Volunteer Infantry soldiers joined the 3rd at Platte Bridge Station in the fall of 1865.

Major’s Quarters

Major Martin Anderson of the 11th Kansas Volunteer Cavalry was in command of the post during the two battles between soldiers and Native Americans in July 1865.

Blacksmith Shop

The blacksmith served the needs of the troops at the post, as well as the needs of emigrants and others traveling the trails.

Sutler’s Store

The sutler was a trader authorized by the army to set up a store on fort grounds. The sutler’s store served as a social center for soldiers and offered goods not normally available from the army commissary.


This is a memorial cemetery with headstones for several soldiers from the 11th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry who died while serving in the West.

Carriage Shed

The Carriage Shed exhibits the Museum’s collection of wagons and other transportation vehicles from the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Centennial Park

Centennial Park was added to the Museum grounds in 1990 to commemorate the Wyoming State Centennial. The park includes a “History Walk” made of interpretive signs detailing the history of central Wyoming and the "Signature Cabin" which displays photographs and student signatures from all Natrona County schools in 1990. Picnic shelters, grills, and playground equipment are also available at the park.


Centennial Park and other areas of the site are available to rent for weddings, family reunions, and other gatherings. Call 307-235-8462 or email for more information or to make a reservation.